Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I Heart Food Photography!


Yes, it is no secret, I love food shoots. I love them even more when I don't muck up the food so much with so many weird ingredients that we can still eat the food afterward. (Stay away WD-40!)

But besides eating the food, what I love most about food shoots has to do with the senses. I think food is an emotional experience. We eat with all of our senses: tasting, smelling, feeling, seeing, and hearing. And when we look at a food photo, all of those emotions should come rushing in and make us connect to the image. It is that same connection that helps consumers connect with a brand or a company.

Some say the test of a good food photo is to ask the person, does it make you hungry? But I think we should take it a step further and say, does it make you react? If I see a photo of a large plate full of liver, my first reaction may be to purse my lips. A good food photo would allow me to actually taste that chewy liver texture between my teeth (I am getting sick), and the memory of the taste may even come into my mouth. The experience of that image was so real that I was transported.

Whatever reaction you are looking for in your audience should be captured in that photo. If the image is blurry or not lit well, there is a good chance your consumers will not react. You have wasted an opportunity to connect with your audience, and in many cases, you only get that one chance....

No comments:

Post a Comment